“There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief...and unspeakable love.”

Washington Irving


2009, a year of tears. I've been looking for a title for a while, and I think I finally came up with it.

Andrew and I have both faced a lot of grief. Grief over situations like a friend's divorce. Grief over betrayal, deceit and sad situations. And finally, grief of watching Andrew's mother slowly fade away.

As the New Year rang in last night, I sat at a table with some of my dearest friends and family here in Granada. Together, we all felt the heaviness of the last year, and breathed a few prayers of hope for the New Year.

Some of my hope came back when one friend blessed the city of Granada, and asked God to continue to bring His blessing. You could feel again, what I have felt often this year, the spiritual tension, the spiritual battle for Granada.

Tomorrow Granada as a city celebrates the Taking of Granada, or the moment when the Catholic kings took back the city from the Moors. But now, with all the political tensions of this century, the city council is trying to soften the blow, and not make it seem like a celebration of Christianity but remembering the past when three religions came and lived together in Granada.

The tears I have wept this year over personal and ministry situations have been far more than I ever want to admit. But my tears are for grief and love. I have grieved over situations in my family and in Andrew's family. I have wept over Granada. But in the same moment, I love my family. I love Andrew's family and I love this incredible city.

May we see this year, and others to come, as years of blessing. May our tears be turned into Springs of Joy. May they be unspeakable messengers of His love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog