And so we continue with our theraputic time of listening to music, watching yet more MASH, and recharging our batteries, emotional, physical and creative for the coming school year.

One of the things that's stuck with me this summer is the intense power of words, and on the contrary, the lack therof. Something that was said to us this summer was, "You guys are survivors." And that person probably has no idea that by saying and writing us that, how much those four small words have encouraged, sustained and kept us sane.

You see here, the war, is a spiritual war. We remind ourselves weekly, sometimes almost daily, that we don't wrestle against flesh and blood, but against spiritual powers and princes of this world.

But in the same thought, we also get weary of fighting the war against the war. In a MASH episode, Hawkeye starts having serious nightmares, waking up screaming, and starts walking in his sleep. His fellow comrades and doctors have a discussion behind his back, and one thing Radar O'Riley states is, "Its because he's losing the war against the war." When pressed to explain, he goes on to say that one character paints and has a horse, another works hard and has some pets, etc.

Last night as I heard those words, I cried. I realized that's one element of my stress this summer. I've been so focussed on the war, I've wearied in fighting the war against the war. I too, must keep sane. I too must immerse myself in the Word for me, and not just teaching or preaching, or giving it out to others. I too must find time to just write, not just to exhort others, but to express myself and do what I need to do to recharge.

Andrew's better at this. He knows when to stop, watch some movies, read a book to fall alseep by, find good music, and let go for a bit, so that when you go back to it all, you aren't so weary.

We have a few brief days left, and its taken me this long to figure this out again. So, we've closed our door for a few days, taken down the shingle, and hope to disconnect just a little bit more until we are ready.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog